We have published a report which was prepared thanks to support by Durham University. It provides an overview of the scientific software industry, with a particular emphasis on materials modelling and discussed the following topics:
- The structure of the software industry.
- Requirements for software development: in-house and through collaboration.
- Routes to market for scientific software, e.g. via software houses or direct licensing into specific industries.
- Commercialisation requirements: standards, IP ownership, licensing schemes.
- Warranty and liability issues.